Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, February 27, 2012

What's In A Name?

I have been pondering this blog entry in my mind since the day I was admitted to the hospital with high blood pressure. I imagined that had I had another preemie, especially such an early one, that a blog would be most fitting to keep everyone informed. I could see myself being inundated with calls and texts asking about the baby, and I could already see that there would be days that I just wouldn't want to talk. So as I laid in the hospital, I thought long and hard about what I would name my blog. I wanted something that would not only recognize Vanessa, but also Travis, because I envisioned that eventually this blog would not be about the hospital and ventilators and blood transfusions, but about our journey.

I couldn't get the image of a Hero out of my mind. I guess you could partially blame this on having a 5 year old boy obsessed with Spiderman, Batman and Superman. All of which are considered Heroes, but when I really thought long and hard about what a Hero was to me, it wasn't the obvious. I scoured the internet looking for something that would explain my feelings of what a Hero was. This is what I found:

A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles. -Christopher Reeve

Now you may think I'm arrogant enough to think that this word is to reflect Henry and I through this journey, but that is not the case. My kids are my Heroes. For some reason, they chose to fight and be here with us. They are ordinary kids faced with extraordinary challenges, and many years from now when they graduate college, get married and have their own kids, it won't matter that they came into the world on such a rough road. But for me, I will always remember where they started and how far they have come.

I want you to join me in being a Hero. As many of you know, for the past few years, Henry and I have had a family team for the March for Babies named Team Travis. This year, we will be the Hernandez Heroes. We would like your support! Travis and Vanessa are here today not only because they are fighters, but because of the research that the March of Dimes has supported to help premature babies. Be a Hero for babies!

April 14, 2012
Metro Phoenix
Wesley Bolin Plaza
1700 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ  85007

Please visit our Team Website:  http://www.marchforbabies.org/team/t1800714

This is how what I've come up with for the team shirts so far.
♥ Cassea

No comments:

Post a Comment